NASA’s International Space Apps Challenge 2020 will be hosted in Vaasa by Design Centre MUOVA, VAMK Vaasa University of Applied Sciences / West Coast Startup
Time: October 2-4, 2020
Place: This year Space Apps will be all virtual and online!
Experience, experiment and explore.
Welcome to the fifth consecutive Space Apps Vaasa event. We are looking for problem-solvers, engineers, business people, artists, coders and makers to join the event.
Who should participate in Space Apps?
All are welcome in Space Apps. The common thread among Space Apps participants is that you are interested in space science and exploration, you are creative, and you want to solve problems.
NASA’s International Space Apps Challenge
Space Apps is an international hackathon, where teams engage with NASA’s free and open data to address real-world problems on Earth and in space. Space Apps 2018 included over 18,000 participants at more than 200 events in 75 countries.
Space Apps in a NASA incubator innovation program. Read more: https://www.spaceappschallenge.org/
The challenge categories for 2020 have been published, and they are:
- Observe – Observation is critical to gathering the scientific and technical knowledge needed to take action. Space-based technologies, especially Earth-observing satellites, have given us a greater understanding of Earth, and allowed us to probe into the depths of space. Challenges in this category will ask you to devise tools that make observation data more accessible for use by scientists, decision-makers, and the public.
- Inform – To make good decisions, we all must be well informed. NASA, CSA, CNES, and JAXA not only gather space-based data, but they also compile archival data and share analysis and results with policy makers, scientists, and/or the broader community. This challenge category asks you to look at space agency data with fresh eyes. Come up with effective ways for engaging others about scientific and historical information.
- Sustain – Advances in space exploration and Earth science have revealed the importance of building a sustainable future. What actions can we take to sustain our home planet, so that it is livable for future generations? And how can we sustain human life in the harsh conditions of space?
- Create – Creation lies at the heart of change. Whether it’s artwork, hardware, or a new technology, challenges in this category will ask you to imagine, build, and create awareness.
- Confront – From natural disasters to social and economic inequality, there comes a time when we must confront the problems we detect. Pick a challenge in this category to tackle a variety of issues at local, national, and/or global levels. How can technology serve as a tool for change?
- Connect – Connection empowers us to take action together. Challenges in this category will ask you to examine methods for communicating with one another, and to analyze the complex networks of people and ideas that contribute to space agency missions on Earth and in space.
The full challenge statements will be available on the SpaceApps website closer to the event so stay tuned.
Sign up is now open. – Reserve your seat today!
Head over to the Space Apps Challenge page to secure a place in the Vaasa event:
For More Details on the local Vaasa event, Please Contact:
Incubator Manager WCS
+358 40 182 9027
Design Centre MUOVA | VAMK Vaasa University of Applied Sciences
The Space Apps Vaasa event is organized as a part of the EU Interreg BA KvarkenSpaceEco project.
Kvarken Space Center – Enabling New Space Economy in Bothnia-Atlantica Area.
Read more at: http://www.kvarkenspacecenter.org